If you’re building a granny flat on your property or adding an extension that requires an additional water supply, you may need to install a separate water meter. A water meter is a device that measures the volume of water consumed and allows you to accurately monitor your water usage.
Here’s everything you need to know about water meter installation for granny flats in Australia.
Do you need a separate water meter for your granny flat?
The need for a separate water meter depends on the size and usage of the granny flat. According to the Sydney Water Corporation, you need a separate water meter if the granny flat or extension is over 60 square meters, has a separate entrance, and is used for residential purposes.
If the granny flat is under 60 square meters and does not have a separate entrance, you may not need a separate water meter. However, it’s always best to check with your local water authority to confirm their specific requirements.
The cost of a separate water meter
The cost of a separate water meter installation varies depending on your location and the water authority that serves your area. In general, you can expect to pay a one-time fee for the installation of the meter and ongoing quarterly fees for the meter reading and maintenance.
The installation process
Installing a separate water meter for your granny flat is a complex process that requires the services of a licensed plumber. The installation process includes the following steps:
- Our expert plumber will apply for a water meter installation with your local water authority and obtain any necessary permits.
- Our team will excavate the area where the meter is to be installed and lay the water pipe.
- Our team will install the water meter and connect it to the main water supply.
- We will test the meter to ensure it’s working correctly.
- Our plumber will submit a final report to your local water authority.
- Once the installation is complete, you can start using the water supply in your granny flat.
Benefits of a separate water meter
- Installing a separate water meter for your granny flat has several benefits, including:
- Accurate monitoring of water usage: A separate water meter allows you to track your water usage and identify any leaks or wastage.
- Fair billing: With a separate water meter, you only pay for the water you use in your granny flat, which is fairer and more cost-effective.
- Water conservation: By monitoring your water usage, you can identify areas where you can save water and reduce your bills.
In conclusion, installing a separate water meter for your granny flat is a smart investment that can save you money in the long run. By hiring a licensed plumber to handle the installation process, you can ensure that the job is done correctly and efficiently.